Hurricane Sandy & Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
(Part 3 of a 3 part series – Getting professional help for PTSD)
This blog, which is the last in this series, will give you six approaches that I, as professional use for people suffering from serious forms of PTSD.
Approaches I use are:
1. Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT) is a technique that uses acupressure that folks can learn to apply for themselves. For more information you can click on the video below
2. Relaxation Techniques teaches people how calm their body through breathing and mussel tension and release
3. Guided Imagery – We all have the ability to daydream, guided imagery shows folks how to use that ability whenever we wish to change our mental state and help us calm ourselves down.
4. Hypnosis. Hypnosis is a method where the mind is quieted by using a guide direct breathing and pictures we have in our mind. When I use hypnosis people are aware of what is happening but they are guided into a very comfortable state of mind where their brains are receptive to suggestions where they can help themselves.
5. Self Hypnosis – I teach clients how to put them selves into a deeply relaxed state where they can be available to changing how you relate to your environment.
6. Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing
(EMDR) is a type of psychotherapy that uses eye
movement and imagery to reprogram thought patterns.
I use these six techniques on their own and in combination with one and other, as I find different people need different methods to deal with the effects of PTSD.
It is possible that PTSD, with time on its own, gets less and may even be manageable, but usually without treatment, the problem gets worse and is very difficult to live with.
If you have any questions about these treatments or would like help dealing with PTSD from Hurricane Sandy or that has been caused for any reason, give me
(Dr. Marty) a call at: (732)246-8484 and we can talk in more depth about how help can be gotten for this devastating disorder.